I have decided to start blogging about body shapes, because this is fundamental to dressing well and feeling confident in what you wear.
To dress your body right, you have to know your shape. It is the basis for great style.
Knowing what suits your body best has several advantages:
- Saves you time at the store: You know exactly what to look for (cut, styles, etc…)
- Feeling of satisfaction and empowerment : knowing that what you are wearing is in fact what suit your body perfectly can give you a sense of empowerment
- Comfortable in your skin: when you wear something you KNOW fits you perfectly, it automatically makes you happy, and hence your demeanor shows happiness as well.
There are 5 common types of shape: apple, pear, rectangle and hourglass.
The main differences between all 4 are the proportions of measurements between shoulders, bust, waist, and hips.
Once you get a good understanding of those proportions and how that affects the way clothes fit you, you will be comfortable picking the best outfit for your body type.
Let’s start with the APPLE SHAPEbody type.
You Have an Apple Body Shape When:
- You have an average to large bust size
- You have no defined waist
- Weight tends to form on the stomach
Your goal is to draw attention away from your torso. Emphasize your bust instead, and show off your legs.
Your power pieces include:
Fine flowy fabric (avoid a material that is too clingy, especially in the middle area)
- Wide or low V-neck tops with embellished neckline (reveals your collarbone, which helps break up a uniformly shaped top half)
- Wrap blouses (constructed to create a more defined waistline, will hide any unwanted bulk)
- Open-front tops (Jackets without closures flatter your frame by adding long vertical lines)
- Boot cut, straight leg or flared jeans and trousers will bring balance
- Belted Pants will accentuate your middle for a well proportioned shape
- Flat front trousers that fasten to the side are good
- Choose styles with a little bit of stretch for comfort and better fit
DRESSES AND SKIRTS
- Empire waist, will bring your waist higher than its natural placement for a dramatic look
- Wrap style dresses and flared maxi dresses
- Off the shoulder dresses, will draw attention on your shoulders
Celebrities with apple shaped bodies:
Catherine Zeta Jones